MRO's Did You Know Newsletter
Sign up for MRO's Did You Know? Pit Note by submitting your email address below!
Did You Know, November 1st, 2012
• Pit Note
- Jimmie Johnson won at Martinsville for the seventh time and takes the points lead over Brad Keselowski by 2. Jimmie started on the pole and ran in the Top 10 for most of the race except for variations in pit strategy. On the other hand, Brad qualified 32nd and took the lead with 19 laps to go, when he stayed on the track while most lead lap cars pitted. He was quickly passed on the restart and finish in sixth place. Earlier in the race, he was next in line to go a lap down, but a caution allowed him to pit and make changes that allowed him to go from 26 points down at that time to just 2 points down.
- Denny Hamlin’s championship hopes died with the failure in his electrical system after coming from the back of the field twice following penalties for speeding on pit road. After moving to the front for the second time, his car slowed. Denny frantically turned every switch he had in the cockpit trying to regain power; however, he came to a dead stop on the straight-a-way, which brought out another caution while he went to the garage.
- Chase drivers had their overall combined worse finish of the Chase with only six of the twelve finishing in the Top 10 (followed by one in the teens, three in the 20s and two in the 30’s).
This weekend, I had the great privilege to be the guest of Motor Racing Outreach at Martinsville. I renewed many relationships from my days as a chaplain, prayed at the Drivers’ Meeting and then brought the message at the chapel service. I am truly grateful for the honor to once again minister with the MRO team.
In my message, I tied the proclamation of the gospel to three instances that happened to me at Martinsville over the years. Without detailing the illustrations, the good news that I attempted to convey was: God cares, we never compete for God’s favor, and there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. When this good news is proclaimed, the Holy Spirit brings life to those who will hear and believe. This message is contrary to the natural tendency of all mankind to deny strife with God and to try to prove something to Him, instead of admitting that at our very best we all come short of the holiness of God. We diminish God’s law when we in any way think we can, or act as if we have the ability to live life according to God’s Law, or that we could suffer the deserved punishment for our sin and live. Our only hope is to call upon our Lord for help, which God promises to send abundantly and free, in Jesus, to ANYONE and EVERYONE who believes. Believe today!
- Team MRO, MRO Board of Directors, MRO Association Members and Shop Study Leaders.
- Safety for the drivers, crew members, and others in the traveling race community at Texas Motor Speedway this weekend.
- Fan Outreach efforts taking place in the campgrounds at Texas.
- Please pray for the upcoming Bible/Shop Studies scheduled during the week of November 5-9, 2012.
Morgan Shepherd/Faith Motorsports
Joe Gibbs Racing
Charlotte Motor Speedway
Richard Childress Racing
Jeremy Clements Racing
The DYK e-newsletter PIT NOTE is written by Ron Pegram, Administrative/Pastoral Care Elder at Paramount Church.